Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

It is Thursday morning, Thanksgiving morning and I am about to get back in the kitchen with mom to prepare our Thanksgiving dinner.  We are having Thanksgiving at our house this year and are expecting between 20-25 people.  In the last year or so our house has become the "go to" house for holidays and while we are not going home for Thanksgiving, we are having Thanksgiving at home...our home and it will be reminiscent of Thanksgiving pasts.

I have truly fond memories of Thanksgiving growing up as a child.  Mom would spend many hours in the kitchen preparing a wonderful meal; my favorite dishes being creamed corn, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream.  YUM!  The door was always open and a standing invitation was extended to anyone that wanted to come over and share in the holiday with us.  Ross, Chelsea and I would wake up and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade as kids or as we got older I can remember having LONG guitar hero sessions that Ross most often won.  At some point in the day I was going to be sat on, tackled to the floor and tickled until I could no longer breathe by my brother.....something I would give anything for today! My grandparents would come over and we would all play canasta together.  Chad, Ross and Jason would sit in Ross' room for hours and play Madden.  We would all gather around and watch the Cowboys game....this was most enjoyed for me when the Triplets were still on the field.  Chad and I would have Thanksgiving lunch most often at Queenies house and then we could get to mom's for the afternoon and evening.  These are some of my fondest memories of Thanksgiving.

Yesterday my mom and I were in the kitchen cooking together and will be doing the same today.  Our house will be filled with the same warm aroma that I can remember as a child.  We are making or have already made all of my favorite dishes plus Buttermilk pie that Chad and his family love so much as well as my sweet potato souffle recipe and much more.  Our door is open and we will have several family friends sharing in the holiday with us.  The kids are ready for the parade, Christian is ready for Patrick to come play football, and we will all gather around the t.v at three to cheer on the Cowboys to their 3rd straight win with Jason Garrett as head coach.

I have so much to be thankful for.  My incredible husband that I have been with for half of my life.  You are my rock and my best friend.  I am so thankful for the laughter and love we share.  You truly complete me.  I love you so much!  My precious boys, Christian and Carson!!  Being your mom is my greatest reward and every day spent with them is the biggest blessing and reward of my life.  All I have ever wanted to be is a wife and a mom and I am so thankful to have that opportunity.  My incredible family that I love and cherish.  You formed me into the woman I am today and your constant love and support means so much.

I am thankful for this beautiful home and roof over our head, for the protection it brings and the memories we are making in it.  I am so blessed to call Celina home and live in this incredible community with such small town pride, that openly prays and that rallies around the kids and each other.  I love this town and I am so thankful for the friendships we have made here.  We truly have an amazing group of friends and Chad and I are constantly saying how blessed we are to have them in our life!  You truly have become our family and your constant love, support and laughter means the world to us!

My brother Ross, for the short twenty years I got to spend with him, but for the lifetime of MANY wonderful memories and the incredible bond we shared!   I will never forget all of the Prosper football and basketball games I went to with 5 year old Ross always just a few steps behind me.  Once I got my car, anytime I got in it, Ross did too.  He truly was my running buddy although at the time I may not have always like it.  As we grew older Ross was the most loving, caring, thoughtful brother a girl could ask for.  I will always cherish the memories of him arranging mom to watch the boys so we could go to the movies, go shopping or go eat sushi and the countless long heart to heart talks, that Ross, Chad and I would have until the wee hours in the morning.

In doing some reading after Ross passed away, I came across this quote somewhere that stuck with me.  It basically said when one loses a parent they have lost their past..and when one loses a spouse they have lost their present and when a parent loses a child they have lost their future...but when someone loses a sibling they have lost their past, present and future.  


One of his friends just recently posted this on Ross' Facebook Wall and it truly embodies the love and emotion that has repeatedly been expressed and just exactly how we all feel.



You truly are an AMAZING being! look at all the energy you spread through love & happiness in your short life span. Your not even around to keep giving out that energy, yet it flows constantly stronger in the dreams, thoughts, and hearts of everybody lucky enough to be embraced by that famous hug & smile. I am asked how it feels to loose someone magical like you. Truth is i dont feel like i lost you. How can i when i close my eyes i see your smile, when i fall asleep your in my dreams, and when i am alone your right behind me chirpin away in my ear. Your energy flows through me stronger now then ever before, so i havent lost you. Just by listening to the quiet room i can hear your laughter, sometimes i find myself turning around fully expecting to see you. I celebrate your life everyday, no time for mourning here, i am just happy to have been lucky enough to meet one of the most amazing & magical beings i know.


I am eternally grateful for the life of my brother Ross and the incredible impact he made on anyone and everyone he came in contact with.  For the new friendships we have made through and because of him and for our new roofing business and partnership with Josh and Lexie.  While I know that the Lord is the one that truly provides for us I can not help but feel that my brother is responsible too.  That in his passing he wanted to take care of Chad and I for a change and gave way for this opportunity to truly turn our life around and build something that will last forever.  Your hand print will always be on Greystone Roofing.

Ross, I know that you are truly smiling down on us. We love and miss you with every ounce of our being!  You will be with us today just like you are everyday!

Happy Thanksgiving!


1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, Heather! We hope you guys had a wonderful day together and had a very Happy Thanksgiving. I hope we can get together to catch up soon. Thinking of you and love you guys!

    ReplyDelete