I have to admit, I was a little suspect at first. I had gone up to the school Friday as everything was being set up and thought to myself...this is not going to be good, but boy was I wrong. As I sat at the check out table as to not hop along on my self-diagnosed swollen and bruised sprained foot, I very quickly got in to the spirit. It was very easy to do though with the exceptional ladies there with me. Misti was truly an inspiration as she spread holiday cheer. She had such a positive attitude and kept going on about how wonderful it was to give the kids an opportunity to experience the spirit of giving. It did not matter what our kids were going to come home with, it was the thought that counted and the excitement in their eyes that made it all worth it! Don't get me wrong, we all shared a laugh or too but as my shift came to an end, I had no desire to leave. I thought to myself I would stay and eat lunch with Christian and then go but that did not happen either.
In preparation for Christian to come in with his class, I walked around and pointed a few ideas out to the helpers...a back scratcher, Mom note pad or maybe a book mark. When Christian walked in, he was really excited and did not need any help or ideas from the other moms (hint hint). I told him to do his shopping and I would pay when he checked out. He was a little boy on a mission. After a few minutes of browsing he immediately walked over to show what he had picked out so far: a little monster truck that he said Carson would love, and a keychain for Chad that said #1 Dad. He said since he had the best dad he definitely had to get it. I walked to the gift bag table so Christian could check out without me seeing my present and then he was good to go or so I thought. A few minutes later he told me he found a coffee cup that he had to get Ta Ta and a bookmark for Grandma.
By this point Chad had dropped Carson off at the school to hang out until it was time to leave. He was such a big boy all day. He sat on the floor by my chair or under the table playing PSP and helping me get bags for a good majority of the day! We had lunch with Christian where his big brother walked him over to the ice cream line with his arm around his neck! (Please let it last!) He was such a big helper I told him he could go shopping too. He picked out a little something for Christian and we called it a day!
Fast forward to the car ride home. Christian kept telling me that he wanted to give us our presents tonight because he just could NOT wait until Christmas. I tried convincing him to put them under the tree but he was not having any part of it. I told him he was just like his dad in that respect because Chad always liked to give presents early and could never wait until the big day!
At dinner tonight Christian said that he was handing out presents. Chad said, "I wonder where he gets that" and asked me if I knew what I was getting since I had been there today. Christian sat there a second and looked up with a big smile on his face and asked,"don't you like bling?" He knows me so well! He gathered his gifts and handed them out one by one leaving mine for last. The suspense was killing me. What would it be? The faux ruby mom tennis bracelet, maybe a big ring? Nope! It was a very sweet blinged out little guitar necklace. I loved it and can actually wear it with pride. When I tucked him in bed and was leaning over to give him a kiss he noticed I was still wearing his necklace! He said, "you are still wearing it". Of course baby, it was a gift from you!
Tis the season!
No comments:
Post a Comment