Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fun Filled Day of Science

The second grade just went on a wonderful field trip to the Math Midway exhibit at the Frisco Sci-Tech Museum.  This was a day of firsts for Christian as it was his very first time to ride in a school bus and sadly his very first elementary school field trip.  Needless to say, he was anxiously waiting for this day to arrive and so was I.  After getting to the school to find that everything there was under control I decided to leave before the students boarded the buses so that I could get to the museum early and see how the day would run.  I am sorry that I did this though as I did not get any photographic proof of Christian actually boarding the bus.  He has often asked me if he could ride the bus to and from school, to which I give my standard reply...there are a lot of moms that are not able to drive their kids to school and be there in the afternoon to pick them up so you should be thankful that I am able to do that not to mention the bus drives by our house every morning at 7 am when I am just going in to your room to wake you up.  We have a hard enough time waking up at 7 am, I don't even want to think about 6 am.  By this time we are usually pulling into the driveway so this conversation can come to an end.  There is nothing wrong with riding the school bus, in fact I am sure I would find it much easier if he did, however, I never rode the bus to school and I don't want my kids to either.  But back to the field trip.  

Once all the students arrived (the busses took the "scenic" route as I stood out in the freezing cold trying to find and direct them via phone which way to go) we went in to the theater area for a group introduction and a few science experiments.  The students were amazed when one of the teachers was asked to stand up and swirl 2 glasses of water around on a board without the water spilling out.  It definitely kept everyones attention and had them laughing when the water finally dumped out.  (Don't try this at home.)


Next we all broke out into sessions and for Mr. P's class the chaperones each took three or four kids through the science stations in the midway.  I don't know that I offered any educational benefit to them, but we had fun. The square wheeled trikes were so interesting that I even decided to take a turn.





I must say that this was a wonderful field trip.  The kids were busy the entire day and never had a chance to get bored.  When it came time for lunch a few of the moms and I snuck away to grab a quick lunch at Best Thai.  It was yummy!  We ran next door to Peace Love and Popcorn and tasted Dill Pickle popcorn and picked up a couple treats too.  Christian LOVES that place and so do I.



Once the day came to an end Christian surprised me by asking to ride back home with me.  I thought for sure he would have wanted to ride back on the bus with his friends but he did not.  Instead he had a friend come home with us to play!  Fieldtrip #1 was a huge success.  I even received 4 or 5 emails from teachers the next morning with nothing but positive comments.  YAY!  Christian and his friends talked about some of the cool science experiments for days and I was just happy to be there.


No comments:

Post a Comment